Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stop the Carousel, I want the shot!




Once upon a time in the TIME OF FILM, people sometimes painted with light. Now in the TIME OF DIGITAL we can paint with layers, or maybe it should be called lighting with layers, you decide. Anyway this opens a wonderful world of possibilities and problem solving. The problem here was photographing the Smithsonian Libraries exhibition Paper Engineering: Fold, Pull, Pop & Turn. Lately I go through an exhibit such as this with a tripod and cheerfully RAW my way through several exposures of each scene, but there was this spinning carousel that could not be turned off. Hmm, what if I used an off camera flash gelled for tungsten, did an exposure at say 1/125 and then did my exposure series without the flash, I wonder if that would work?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Hugh, I just discovered your blog. How COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lonely out in space
    On such a timeless flight. - Elton John,"Rocket Man"

    ReplyDelete